Open Sex @ Kafka, Hồ Chí Minh City, Việt Nam, January 4th, 2017. Photo by Nguyễn Minh Hoàng.
I arrived in the States late last Wednesday from almost 5 weeks abroad in Vietnam. I’ve spent the last week getting my ducks in a row and recovering from jet lag but, more importantly, I must highlight what an incredible privilege it was to have the chance not only to visit but also to collaborate with some outstanding musicians and new friends. I sincerely hope that it is not my only opportunity – already looking forward to the next! I cannot express enough gratitude to everyone who had a hand in organizing shows, lending gear, time and energy, sharing studio and rehearsal spaces or just simply making us feel welcome and showing us around. I am already planning to return in my mind…below are a handful of shots from performances during the trip:
Solo at Kafka, Hồ Chí Minh City, Việt Nam, January 4th, 2017. Photo by Nguyễn Minh Hoàng.
Solo @ Manzi, Hà Nội, Việt Nam, December 22nd, 2016. Photo by Nguyễn Bá Hiển.
Generally speaking, there looks to be a busy year ahead…several recording sessions are booked, tours are being planned and/or confirmed and there are many new releases in the queue, featuring collaborations with the likes of Muyassar Kurdi & Daniel Carter, Dave Rempis, Darin Gray, Tashi Dorji, Thom Nguyen, Eddie Flowers, Eric Weddle & Will Staler, Thee Open Sex, Ohmme, Golden Braid and more…
Elastic Arts, Chicago, November 4th, 2016. Photo by Piotr Lewandowski.
Additionally, Tashi Dorji & I have been selected to be the artists-in-residency for this year’s Mission Creek Festival in Iowa City. We are taking this opportunity to work on our 2nd studio full-length and will be performing at the festival on April 7th w/ our homies 75 Dollar Bill. We are touring around this date beginning March 31st and concluding on April 12th. Here are the official dates (many details TBA):
– Friday, March 31st – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ Duke Coffeehouse (Crowell Building, Epworth Dorm Ln.), Durham, NC
– Sunday, April 2nd – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Cincinnati, OH
– Friday, April 7th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ 75 Dollar Bill @ Mission Creek Festival @ Trumpet Blossom Cafe (310 E Prentiss St.), Iowa City, IA
– Saturday, April 8th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ Tontine Ensemble @ Acme Records (2341 S Kinnickinnic Ave.), Milwaukee, WI
– Sunday, April 9th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ Six Organs Of Admittance @ Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.), Chicago, IL
– Monday, April 10th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Cleveland, OH
– Tuesday, April 11th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Baltimore, MD
– Wednesday, April 12th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Asheville, NC
Tashi & I are grateful to have had “Both Will Escape,” our debut studio LP released in October of 2016, featured in several year-end lists, both personal and for publications. Thank you all for the continued support…
Elastic Arts, Chicago, November 4th, 2016. Photo by Piotr Lewandowski.
Lastly, here are a handful of other upcoming live dates for those interested:
– Thursday, January 26th – quintet w/ Dave Rempis, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Jason Stein, Michael Zerang w/ Boneshaker @ Elastic Arts (3429 Diversey Ave. #208), Chicago, IL
– Friday, February 3rd – solo w/ Drekka, Dante Augustus Scarlatti @ The Artifex Guild (1017 S. Walnut St.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, February 11th – quartet w/ Matthew Setzler, Kyle Quass & Jeff Greene w/ Show-Me Boys (Cincinnati) @ The Blockhouse (201 S. College Ave.), Bloomington, IN
– Friday, February 17th – Open Sex quintet w/ Laffing Gas, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ Jan’s Rooms (1102 S. Washington St.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, February 18th – Open Sex quintet w/ Total Disgust, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ State Street Pub (243 N. State Ave.), Indianapolis, IN
– Sunday, February 19th – Open Sex quintet w/ Bitchin’ Bajas, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ The Hideout (1354 W. Wabansia Ave.), Chicago, IL
– Friday, April 21st – solo & duo w/ Dave Rempis @ The Spot Tavern (409 S. 4th St.), Lafayette, IN
January 18, 2017 [permalink] Daniel Carter, Darin Gray, Dave Rempis, Eddie Flowers, Eric Weddle, Golden Braid, Ha Noi, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Iowa City, Jason Stein, John Dawson, Live, Manas, Manas Trio, Michael Zerang, MIssion Creek Festival, Muyassar Kurdi, Open Sex, Recording, Residency, Saigon, Tashi Dorji, Thee Open Sex, Thom Nguyen, tour, Vietnam, Will Staler
Frans de Waard recently reviewed Yoke releases 01-03 (my solo debut “Softened Skull,” as well as both collaborations with Darin Gray) at Vital Weekly, an e-mail magazine (formerly print zine) that’s been active as long as I’ve been drawing breath.
Check out the full review at VITAL WEEKLY 1011
Damon/Gray/ Lorenz trio @ The Comet, Cincinnati, OH. Photo by Pete Fosco.
I’m a little late posting this but I wanted to share a little tour wrap-up in the wake of the TD/DG – “For Four” mini tour. In order of appearance, a HUGE thank you to:
Rachel Maudlin, Joe Estivill and the Player’s Pub, Rick Brown and Che Chen (75 Dollar Bill), Jim Manion and WFHB, Eric Weddle, Jon Lorenz, Zohair Hussain, Pete Fosco, Tina and Jack Damon, James, Leah and Virgil Toth, Robert Beatty, Ross Compton, Carey Balch, Will Fist, Valerie Kuehne, Give Thanks, Nate Fleckenstein, Chris Davis and Portland Brew South, William Tyler, Tim Barnes and Dreamland, Keenan Lawler, John Dawson, and anyone/everyone who came out to a show, share a bill, played a trio with us, provided a comfortable night’s rest, bought something from our table, gave us records or shared a kind word. More than all others, though, I must give thanks to my duo partner and great friend Darin Gray for his incredible support and focus, his ceaselessly inventive and exciting playing and, especially, for his devotion to helping those around him feel like the golden human beings that he insists we are. I had a beautiful, rewarding tour experience – THANK YOU…
Additionally, I played a duo show w/ John Dawson as Open Sex the day after tour w/ Darin ended so I got bonus hangs w/ Plastic Crimewave Syndicate, Sedcairn Archives and the beautiful people of Indianapolis’ State Street Pub. John and I will be back there on December 19th playing with Lech – come on out (additionally, another Lech show is happening in Bloomington w/ St. Louie’s Lumpy & The Dumpers on Thursday the 17th…)
Announcing the Tyler Damon / Darin Gray “For Four” fall tour 2015! We will be touring in support of our second full-length release “For Four” on my own Yoke imprint:
I am also very pleased to say that we will be sharing a couple of bills w/ the most-excellent 75 Dollar Bill (Che Chen & Rick Brown) of NYC, Nashville’s William Tyler, Knoxville’s Give Thanks & Will Fist and Louisville’s Keenan Lawler, as well as collaborative sets w/ Cincinnati’s Jon Lorenz and Lexington’s Robert Beatty.
– Sunday, November 15th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray duo w/ 75 Dollar Bill (NYC) @ The Player’s Pub (424 S. Walnut St.), Bloomington, IN – 8PM – “For Four” release show sponsored by WFHB
– Monday, November 16th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray / Jon Lorenz trio w/ 75 Dollar Bill (NYC), Pete Fosco @ The Comet (4579 Hamilton Ave.), Cincinnati, OH – 8PM
– Tuesday, November 17th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray / Robert Beatty trio @ Al’s Beer Garden (601 N. Limestone, behind Al’s Bar), Lexington, KY – 8PM
– Wednesday, November 18th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray duo w/ Give Thanks & Will Fist @ The Pilot Light (106 E. Jackson Ave.), Knoxville, TN – 8PM
– Thursday, November 19th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray duo w/ William Tyler @ Portland Brew 12 South (2605 12th Ave. South), Nashville, TN – 8PM
– Friday, November 20th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray duo w/ Keenan Lawler @ Dreamland (810 E. Market St.), Louisville, KY – 8PM
– Saturday, November 21st – Open Sex duo w/ Jovontaes (Lexington, KY) & Plastic Crimewave Syndicate (Chicago) @ State Street Pub (243 N. State Ave.), Indianapolis, IN – 8PM
I’ll also be back in Chicago this Sunday (10/25) w/ The Mars Williams Quartet. We’re playing two sets at the Owl in Logan Square starting at 9PM. Free admission, donations gladly accepted…
October 21, 2015 [permalink] 75 Dollar Bill, Bloomington, Cincinnati, Darin Gray, For Four, Indianapolis, Jovontaes, Keenan Lawler, Knoxville, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Open Sex, Plastic Crimewave Syndicate, Robert Beatty, Thee Open Sex, tour, WFHB, Will Fist, William Tyler, Yoke