Isabel & Burger, Haley, Ka in North Philly at the Bardo Pond compound, 11/17/17.
Circuit Des Yeux has returned from our first leg of touring in support of the new Drag City full-length, Reaching For Indigo, which was, simply stated, a superlative experience. It is always a great joy to find myself in these scenarios, creating music with immensely talented and wonderful people, enjoying each other’s company along the way. I would like to highlight Ka Baird as being an absolutely inspirational figure on this outing who routinely blew our minds with her singular, empowering solo work. If you haven’t given her 2017 LP Sapropelic Pycnic a spin, go check it out now! Lastly, thanks to everyone who made it out – we’ll see the rest of you in 2018 in the US, Europe and beyond…below are the CDY dates for the first quarter of 2018…more to come:
01.19.18 – Los Angeles, CA – Resident
01.20.18 – San Francisco, CA – The Chapel
01.21.18 – Santa Rosa, CA – Atlas Coffee Company
01.23.18 – Seattle, WA – Barboza
01.24.18 – Portland, OR – Mississippi Studios
01.25.18 – Boise, ID – The Olympic
01.26.18 – Salt Lake City, UT – Diabolical Records
01.27.18 – Denver, CO – Larimer Lounge
01.28.18 – Phoenix, AZ – LBX
02.06.18 – Geneva, CH – Festival Antigel
02.07.18 – Baden, CH – One of a Million Festival
02.08.18 – Heidelberg, DE – Karlstorbahnhof
02.09.18 – Berlin, DE – Kantine am Berghain
02.10.18 – Copenhagen, DK – Vinterjazz
02.12.18 – Eupen, BE – Galerie Vorn und Oben
02.13.18 – Brighton, UK – ACCA
02.14.18 – London, UK – The Lexington
02.15.18 – Gent, BE – Vooruit
02.16.18 – Paris, FR – Espace B
02.17.18 – Rotterdam, NL – Worm
02.19.18 – Amsterdam, NL – Muziekgebouw
02.20.18 – Koln, DE – Gewolbe
02.21.18 – Luxembourg, LU – Rotondes
Speaking of shows, I have two more in the calendar year in Bloomington, including a killer hit with deep homies Bitchin’ Bajas (touring in support of their righteous new double platter, Bajas Fresh), as well as the FINAL Magnetic South Revue at the house December 22nd:
– Saturday, December 2nd – Open Sex w/ Bitchin’ Bajas @ The Blockhouse (201 S. College Ave.), Bloomington, IN
– Friday, December 22nd – Open Sex w/ Circuit Des Yeux, The Bills @ Final Magnetic South Revue @ Magnetic South (1305 S. Madison St.), Bloomington, IN
On an unrelated note, Bill Meyer penned a nice lil review of Manas – III (Dorji/Nguyen/Damon out earlier this year on Feeding Tube) over at Still Single for the uninitiated:
Forthcoming releases on the horizon:
Tashi Dorji & Tyler Damon – Leave No Trace: Live In St. Louis LP (Family Vineyard)
Tashi Dorji & Tyler Damon – TBA cassette (Magnetic South)
Thee Open Sex – White Horses LP (Magnetic South / Sophomore Lounge)
Kuzu (Dorji / Damon / Rempis) – Hiljaisuus LP (Astral Spirits)
See you next year…
November 25, 2017 [permalink] Bill Meyer, Circuit Des Yeux, Discography, Drag City, Duo, Family Vineyard, Feeding Tube, Ka Baird, Live, Magnetic South, Manas, Manas Trio, Review, Sophomore Lounge, Tashi Dorji, Thee Open Sex, Thom Nguyen, tour, Trio
Circuit des Yeux – Reaching For Indigo out October 20th, 2017.
I’m back home after one of the finest outings I’ve taken with my guitar-wielding comrade Tashi Dorji. As usual I cannot thank everyone enough for the immense generosity and support we received along the way – thank you all so much.
Unfortunately, we did not receive our new trio CD Release on Austria’s Trost w/ Danish-via-Norway saxophonist Mette Rasmussen, To the Animal Kingdom, in time for our tour but they have finally touched down in the US and I will have copies in-person and on Bandcamp in due time. Stewart Smith wrote of our new disc in Wire Magazine recently, noting that:
“Head-shaking and fist-pumping opportunities abound with this bodacious live set […] that’s not to say To The Animal Kingdom is some dumb slab of noise-bro skronk; this trio balance free jazz dynamism and industrial clatter with textural soundwork and a keen sense of space.”
Additionally, Tashi & I’s new duo LP, Leave No Trace: Live In St. Louis, is currently being pressed and will be available December 8th – preorder it now from Family Vineyard. We’re down to the final copies of our debut, Both Will Escape, so snatch one up if you feel so inclined. Feeding Tube are also moving copies of our recent trio LP w/ Thom Nguyen, Manas – III, check ’em out…
If you were unable to catch us on tour, Deathwave TV captured a full set from our Bloomington, IN date at Magnetic South on Tashi’s birthday:
I’m very excited to hit the road in November with Circuit des Yeux in support of the new Drag City release Reaching For Indigo, out 10/20/17. Haley & I have been friends for years and I’m overjoyed to reconnect creatively and to have been invited to join CDY on tour. Two singles featuring my drum work, “Black Fly” and “Paper Bag,” have been premiered and you can check them each out below along with tour dates for the first leg of Reaching For Indigo performances (all dates supported by the inimitable Ka Baird):
– Friday, November 10th – Circuit des Yeux @ Trinosophes (1646 Gratiot Ave.), Detroit, MI
– Saturday, November 11th – Circuit des Yeux @ The Drake Hotel (1150 Queen St W), Toronto, ON
– Sunday, November 12th – Circuit des Yeux @ Bar Le “Ritz” P.D.B. (179 Rue Jean-Talon-Ouest), Montréal, QC
– Monday, November 13th – Circuit des Yeux @ Great Scott (1222 Commonwealth Ave.), Allston, MA
– Tuesday, November 14th – Circuit des Yeux @ AS220 (115 Empire St.), Providence, RI
– Wednesday, November 15th – Circuit des Yeux @ Rough Trade NYC (64 N. 9th St.), Brooklyn, NY
– Thursday, November 16th – Circuit des Yeux @ Johnny Brenda’s (1201 Frankford Ave.), Philadelphia, PA
– Saturday, November 18th – Circuit des Yeux @ Schuba’s, Lincoln Hall (2424 N. Lincoln Ave.), Chicago, IL
October 2, 2017 [permalink] Circuit Des Yeux, Deathwave TV, Discography, Drag City, Duo, Family Vineyard, Feeding Tube, Live, Manas, Manas Trio, Mette Rasmussen, Reaching For Indigo, Stewart Smith, Tashi Dorji, Thom Nguyen, tour, Trio, Trost, Video, Wire Magazine
Tour poster by Xerox the Kidd.
Tashi & I are headed out on TOUR again in September in support of 3 new recordings:
MANAS – “III” (Feeding Tube, FTR-330)
Mette Rasmussen/ Tashi Dorji/ Tyler Damon – “To The Animal Kingdom” (Trost, TR167)
Tashi Dorji & Tyler Damon – “Leave No Trace: Live in St. Louis” (Family Vineyard, FV103)
Though I’ve mentioned the trio releases in previous posts, the new duo LP, “Leave No Trace,” is a kind of sister release to last year’s “Both Will Escape” recorded live in-the-studio for an audience last November in St. Louis (coming this Autumn on Family Vineyard). Check out the DISCOGRAPHY page for more info on these releases.
This outing promises to usher in more collaborative possibilities for Tashi & I, namely the FREEZING BLACK RAIN quintet (Dorji & Damon + Heart of the Ghost a.k.a. Luke Stewart/Jarrett Gilgore/Ian McColm) & a trio with Chicago’s Dave Rempis.
Other upcoming dates:
– Friday, August 11th – solo w/ Rob Noyes (Boston), Alexander (New Haven) @ Magnetic South (1305 S. Madison St.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, August 12th – Open Sex w/ Honey Radar (Philadelphia), The Cowboys @ The Blockhouse (201 S. College Ave.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, August 19th – solo @ secret solar eclipse party, Perryville, MO
August 3, 2017 [permalink] Discography, Duo, Family Vineyard, Feeding Tube, Freezing Black Rain, Ian McColm, Jarrett Gilgore, Live, Luke Stewart, Manas, Manas Trio, Mette Rasmussen, quintet, Tashi Dorji, Thom Nguyen, tour, Trio, Trost, Xerox the Kidd
Open Sex @ Kafka, Hồ Chí Minh City, Việt Nam, January 4th, 2017. Photo by Nguyễn Minh Hoàng.
I arrived in the States late last Wednesday from almost 5 weeks abroad in Vietnam. I’ve spent the last week getting my ducks in a row and recovering from jet lag but, more importantly, I must highlight what an incredible privilege it was to have the chance not only to visit but also to collaborate with some outstanding musicians and new friends. I sincerely hope that it is not my only opportunity – already looking forward to the next! I cannot express enough gratitude to everyone who had a hand in organizing shows, lending gear, time and energy, sharing studio and rehearsal spaces or just simply making us feel welcome and showing us around. I am already planning to return in my mind…below are a handful of shots from performances during the trip:
Solo at Kafka, Hồ Chí Minh City, Việt Nam, January 4th, 2017. Photo by Nguyễn Minh Hoàng.
Solo @ Manzi, Hà Nội, Việt Nam, December 22nd, 2016. Photo by Nguyễn Bá Hiển.
Generally speaking, there looks to be a busy year ahead…several recording sessions are booked, tours are being planned and/or confirmed and there are many new releases in the queue, featuring collaborations with the likes of Muyassar Kurdi & Daniel Carter, Dave Rempis, Darin Gray, Tashi Dorji, Thom Nguyen, Eddie Flowers, Eric Weddle & Will Staler, Thee Open Sex, Ohmme, Golden Braid and more…
Elastic Arts, Chicago, November 4th, 2016. Photo by Piotr Lewandowski.
Additionally, Tashi Dorji & I have been selected to be the artists-in-residency for this year’s Mission Creek Festival in Iowa City. We are taking this opportunity to work on our 2nd studio full-length and will be performing at the festival on April 7th w/ our homies 75 Dollar Bill. We are touring around this date beginning March 31st and concluding on April 12th. Here are the official dates (many details TBA):
– Friday, March 31st – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ Duke Coffeehouse (Crowell Building, Epworth Dorm Ln.), Durham, NC
– Sunday, April 2nd – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Cincinnati, OH
– Friday, April 7th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ 75 Dollar Bill @ Mission Creek Festival @ Trumpet Blossom Cafe (310 E Prentiss St.), Iowa City, IA
– Saturday, April 8th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ Tontine Ensemble @ Acme Records (2341 S Kinnickinnic Ave.), Milwaukee, WI
– Sunday, April 9th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ Six Organs Of Admittance @ Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.), Chicago, IL
– Monday, April 10th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Cleveland, OH
– Tuesday, April 11th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Baltimore, MD
– Wednesday, April 12th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Asheville, NC
Tashi & I are grateful to have had “Both Will Escape,” our debut studio LP released in October of 2016, featured in several year-end lists, both personal and for publications. Thank you all for the continued support…
Elastic Arts, Chicago, November 4th, 2016. Photo by Piotr Lewandowski.
Lastly, here are a handful of other upcoming live dates for those interested:
– Thursday, January 26th – quintet w/ Dave Rempis, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Jason Stein, Michael Zerang w/ Boneshaker @ Elastic Arts (3429 Diversey Ave. #208), Chicago, IL
– Friday, February 3rd – solo w/ Drekka, Dante Augustus Scarlatti @ The Artifex Guild (1017 S. Walnut St.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, February 11th – quartet w/ Matthew Setzler, Kyle Quass & Jeff Greene w/ Show-Me Boys (Cincinnati) @ The Blockhouse (201 S. College Ave.), Bloomington, IN
– Friday, February 17th – Open Sex quintet w/ Laffing Gas, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ Jan’s Rooms (1102 S. Washington St.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, February 18th – Open Sex quintet w/ Total Disgust, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ State Street Pub (243 N. State Ave.), Indianapolis, IN
– Sunday, February 19th – Open Sex quintet w/ Bitchin’ Bajas, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ The Hideout (1354 W. Wabansia Ave.), Chicago, IL
– Friday, April 21st – solo & duo w/ Dave Rempis @ The Spot Tavern (409 S. 4th St.), Lafayette, IN
January 18, 2017 [permalink] Daniel Carter, Darin Gray, Dave Rempis, Eddie Flowers, Eric Weddle, Golden Braid, Ha Noi, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Iowa City, Jason Stein, John Dawson, Live, Manas, Manas Trio, Michael Zerang, MIssion Creek Festival, Muyassar Kurdi, Open Sex, Recording, Residency, Saigon, Tashi Dorji, Thee Open Sex, Thom Nguyen, tour, Vietnam, Will Staler