Open Sex @ Kafka, Hồ Chí Minh City, Việt Nam, January 4th, 2017. Photo by Nguyễn Minh Hoàng.
I arrived in the States late last Wednesday from almost 5 weeks abroad in Vietnam. I’ve spent the last week getting my ducks in a row and recovering from jet lag but, more importantly, I must highlight what an incredible privilege it was to have the chance not only to visit but also to collaborate with some outstanding musicians and new friends. I sincerely hope that it is not my only opportunity – already looking forward to the next! I cannot express enough gratitude to everyone who had a hand in organizing shows, lending gear, time and energy, sharing studio and rehearsal spaces or just simply making us feel welcome and showing us around. I am already planning to return in my mind…below are a handful of shots from performances during the trip:
Solo at Kafka, Hồ Chí Minh City, Việt Nam, January 4th, 2017. Photo by Nguyễn Minh Hoàng.
Solo @ Manzi, Hà Nội, Việt Nam, December 22nd, 2016. Photo by Nguyễn Bá Hiển.
Generally speaking, there looks to be a busy year ahead…several recording sessions are booked, tours are being planned and/or confirmed and there are many new releases in the queue, featuring collaborations with the likes of Muyassar Kurdi & Daniel Carter, Dave Rempis, Darin Gray, Tashi Dorji, Thom Nguyen, Eddie Flowers, Eric Weddle & Will Staler, Thee Open Sex, Ohmme, Golden Braid and more…
Elastic Arts, Chicago, November 4th, 2016. Photo by Piotr Lewandowski.
Additionally, Tashi Dorji & I have been selected to be the artists-in-residency for this year’s Mission Creek Festival in Iowa City. We are taking this opportunity to work on our 2nd studio full-length and will be performing at the festival on April 7th w/ our homies 75 Dollar Bill. We are touring around this date beginning March 31st and concluding on April 12th. Here are the official dates (many details TBA):
– Friday, March 31st – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ Duke Coffeehouse (Crowell Building, Epworth Dorm Ln.), Durham, NC
– Sunday, April 2nd – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Cincinnati, OH
– Friday, April 7th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ 75 Dollar Bill @ Mission Creek Festival @ Trumpet Blossom Cafe (310 E Prentiss St.), Iowa City, IA
– Saturday, April 8th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ Tontine Ensemble @ Acme Records (2341 S Kinnickinnic Ave.), Milwaukee, WI
– Sunday, April 9th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji w/ Six Organs Of Admittance @ Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.), Chicago, IL
– Monday, April 10th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Cleveland, OH
– Tuesday, April 11th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Baltimore, MD
– Wednesday, April 12th – duo w/ Tashi Dorji @ TBA, Asheville, NC
Tashi & I are grateful to have had “Both Will Escape,” our debut studio LP released in October of 2016, featured in several year-end lists, both personal and for publications. Thank you all for the continued support…
Elastic Arts, Chicago, November 4th, 2016. Photo by Piotr Lewandowski.
Lastly, here are a handful of other upcoming live dates for those interested:
– Thursday, January 26th – quintet w/ Dave Rempis, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Jason Stein, Michael Zerang w/ Boneshaker @ Elastic Arts (3429 Diversey Ave. #208), Chicago, IL
– Friday, February 3rd – solo w/ Drekka, Dante Augustus Scarlatti @ The Artifex Guild (1017 S. Walnut St.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, February 11th – quartet w/ Matthew Setzler, Kyle Quass & Jeff Greene w/ Show-Me Boys (Cincinnati) @ The Blockhouse (201 S. College Ave.), Bloomington, IN
– Friday, February 17th – Open Sex quintet w/ Laffing Gas, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ Jan’s Rooms (1102 S. Washington St.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, February 18th – Open Sex quintet w/ Total Disgust, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ State Street Pub (243 N. State Ave.), Indianapolis, IN
– Sunday, February 19th – Open Sex quintet w/ Bitchin’ Bajas, Tropical Trash (Louisville) @ The Hideout (1354 W. Wabansia Ave.), Chicago, IL
– Friday, April 21st – solo & duo w/ Dave Rempis @ The Spot Tavern (409 S. 4th St.), Lafayette, IN
January 18, 2017 [permalink] Daniel Carter, Darin Gray, Dave Rempis, Eddie Flowers, Eric Weddle, Golden Braid, Ha Noi, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Iowa City, Jason Stein, John Dawson, Live, Manas, Manas Trio, Michael Zerang, MIssion Creek Festival, Muyassar Kurdi, Open Sex, Recording, Residency, Saigon, Tashi Dorji, Thee Open Sex, Thom Nguyen, tour, Vietnam, Will Staler
I’m headed to Raleigh, NC this weekend to play with Tashi Dorji at Hopscotch Music Festival. Additionally, I’ll be appearing twice at the Three Lobed / WXDU day show at Kings; once as a trio w/ MANAS (Tashi Dorji & Thom Nguyen) and as a duo w/ twelve-string wiz Sarah Louise. Details on all of my performances this weekend below:
Friday, September 9th @ Three Lobed / WXDU Hopscotch Festival day show, hosted @ Kings (14 W. Martin St.), Raleigh NC
– Saturday, September 10th – @ Hopscotch Festival, hosted @ Nash Hall (108 S. Blount St.), Raleigh, NC
– duo w/ Tashi Dorji
Tashi and I will have copies of the new “Live At The Spot +1” cassette on Astral Spirits and the forthcoming “Both Will Escape” LP available for sale at both events. Hope to see you there…
GREETINGS – I’m headed outta town this coming week for a stretch of North American dates which will include solo performances and collaborations w/ Tashi Dorji, Mette Rasmussen and Muyassar Kurdi.
The tour kicks off this Friday with a solo hit at one of my favorite tour hangs, Knoxville’s Pilot Light. See below for dates and details…
I’ve also included some July dates with Tashi & Thom Nguyen where I will appear in a trio version of MANAS in both Lafayette and Chicago at the first-ever Astral Spirits’ Festival. For night two of the fest I’ll be joining Dave Rempis, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, and Jason Adasiewicz…
Lastly, Skyler Rowe and I will hit the road for three Midwestern dates immediately following Astral Spirits Fest for a first-round meeting of percussion duos…
Lots of firsts…see ya somewhere? – Tyler
June 10th @ The Pilot Light (106 E. Jackson St.), Knoxville, TN
Duo w/ Tashi Dorji
June 12th @ The Nightlight Bar & Club (405 W. Rosemary St.), Chapel Hill, NC
June 13th @ Union Arts D.C. (411 New York Ave.), Washington, D.C.
June 14th @ Trans-Pecos (915 Wyckoff Ave.), Ridgewood, Queens, NY
June 15th @ Old Bear Dens, Franklin Park Zoo, Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA
Trio w/ Tashi Dorji & Mette Rasmussen
June 18th @ Array Space (155 Walnut Ave.), Toronto, ON
June 19th @ Workers Arts & Heritage Centre (51 Stuart St.), Hamilton, ON
June 20th @ Black Squirrel Books & Café (1073 Bank St.), Ottawa, ON
Duo w/ Muyassar Kurdi
June 21st @ Tarot Society (4 Charles Pl.), Brooklyn, NY
Manas trio (w/ Tashi Dorji & Thom Nguyen)
July 22nd @ The Spot Tavern (409 S. 4th St.), Lafayette, IN
July 23rd @ The Hungry Brain (2319 W. Belmont Ave.), Chicago, IL
Quartet w/ Dave Rempis, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Jason Adasiewicz
July 24th @ The Hungry Brain (2319 W. Belmont Ave.), Chicago, IL
Duo w/ Skyler Rowe
July 25th @ The Hideout (1354 W. Wabansia Ave.), Chicago, IL
July 26th @ Torn Light (406 Fairfield Ave.), Bellevue, KY
July 27th @ The Blockhouse (205 S. College Ave.), Bloomington, IN
June 4, 2016 [permalink] Astral Spirits, Astral Spirits Festival, Canada, Dave Rempis, Duo, East Coast, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Jason Adasiewicz, Live, Manas, Mette Rasmussen, Muyassar Kurdi, North America, Quartet, Skyler Rowe, Solo, Tashi Dorji, Thom Nguyen, tour, Trio
I had a killer time in Chicago on Monday trading blows with the always-incredible Mars Williams, and it was a sheer pleasure meeting and playing with the excellent Peter Maunu and Kent Kessler. Huge thanks to Mars, everyone at Experimental Sound Studio, Tim Daisy and Ken Vandermark for their support and enthusiasm. I can’t wait until the next round…above and below are some choice photos by Dan Mohr. Thanks Dan!
Additionally, the Lech gig at MSG was also a very cool time (as always – thanks Derek), and last night’s all-solos gig with my longtime homie Pete Fosco and new homie Kate Wakefield was a lot of fun as well. A very big thank you to all of you who support me with your eyes and ears on a regular basis – it means a lot!
Next up – duo LP recording and a gig in Asheville with the inimitable Tashi Dorji! Stoked to witness his free-rock duo Manas with Thom Nguyen as well…