Circuit des Yeux – Reaching For Indigo out October 20th, 2017.
I’m back home after one of the finest outings I’ve taken with my guitar-wielding comrade Tashi Dorji. As usual I cannot thank everyone enough for the immense generosity and support we received along the way – thank you all so much.
Unfortunately, we did not receive our new trio CD Release on Austria’s Trost w/ Danish-via-Norway saxophonist Mette Rasmussen, To the Animal Kingdom, in time for our tour but they have finally touched down in the US and I will have copies in-person and on Bandcamp in due time. Stewart Smith wrote of our new disc in Wire Magazine recently, noting that:
“Head-shaking and fist-pumping opportunities abound with this bodacious live set […] that’s not to say To The Animal Kingdom is some dumb slab of noise-bro skronk; this trio balance free jazz dynamism and industrial clatter with textural soundwork and a keen sense of space.”
Additionally, Tashi & I’s new duo LP, Leave No Trace: Live In St. Louis, is currently being pressed and will be available December 8th – preorder it now from Family Vineyard. We’re down to the final copies of our debut, Both Will Escape, so snatch one up if you feel so inclined. Feeding Tube are also moving copies of our recent trio LP w/ Thom Nguyen, Manas – III, check ’em out…
If you were unable to catch us on tour, Deathwave TV captured a full set from our Bloomington, IN date at Magnetic South on Tashi’s birthday:
I’m very excited to hit the road in November with Circuit des Yeux in support of the new Drag City release Reaching For Indigo, out 10/20/17. Haley & I have been friends for years and I’m overjoyed to reconnect creatively and to have been invited to join CDY on tour. Two singles featuring my drum work, “Black Fly” and “Paper Bag,” have been premiered and you can check them each out below along with tour dates for the first leg of Reaching For Indigo performances (all dates supported by the inimitable Ka Baird):
– Friday, November 10th – Circuit des Yeux @ Trinosophes (1646 Gratiot Ave.), Detroit, MI
– Saturday, November 11th – Circuit des Yeux @ The Drake Hotel (1150 Queen St W), Toronto, ON
– Sunday, November 12th – Circuit des Yeux @ Bar Le “Ritz” P.D.B. (179 Rue Jean-Talon-Ouest), Montréal, QC
– Monday, November 13th – Circuit des Yeux @ Great Scott (1222 Commonwealth Ave.), Allston, MA
– Tuesday, November 14th – Circuit des Yeux @ AS220 (115 Empire St.), Providence, RI
– Wednesday, November 15th – Circuit des Yeux @ Rough Trade NYC (64 N. 9th St.), Brooklyn, NY
– Thursday, November 16th – Circuit des Yeux @ Johnny Brenda’s (1201 Frankford Ave.), Philadelphia, PA
– Saturday, November 18th – Circuit des Yeux @ Schuba’s, Lincoln Hall (2424 N. Lincoln Ave.), Chicago, IL
October 2, 2017 [permalink] Circuit Des Yeux, Deathwave TV, Discography, Drag City, Duo, Family Vineyard, Feeding Tube, Live, Manas, Manas Trio, Mette Rasmussen, Reaching For Indigo, Stewart Smith, Tashi Dorji, Thom Nguyen, tour, Trio, Trost, Video, Wire Magazine
Tour poster by Xerox the Kidd.
Tashi & I are headed out on TOUR again in September in support of 3 new recordings:
MANAS – “III” (Feeding Tube, FTR-330)
Mette Rasmussen/ Tashi Dorji/ Tyler Damon – “To The Animal Kingdom” (Trost, TR167)
Tashi Dorji & Tyler Damon – “Leave No Trace: Live in St. Louis” (Family Vineyard, FV103)
Though I’ve mentioned the trio releases in previous posts, the new duo LP, “Leave No Trace,” is a kind of sister release to last year’s “Both Will Escape” recorded live in-the-studio for an audience last November in St. Louis (coming this Autumn on Family Vineyard). Check out the DISCOGRAPHY page for more info on these releases.
This outing promises to usher in more collaborative possibilities for Tashi & I, namely the FREEZING BLACK RAIN quintet (Dorji & Damon + Heart of the Ghost a.k.a. Luke Stewart/Jarrett Gilgore/Ian McColm) & a trio with Chicago’s Dave Rempis.
Other upcoming dates:
– Friday, August 11th – solo w/ Rob Noyes (Boston), Alexander (New Haven) @ Magnetic South (1305 S. Madison St.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, August 12th – Open Sex w/ Honey Radar (Philadelphia), The Cowboys @ The Blockhouse (201 S. College Ave.), Bloomington, IN
– Saturday, August 19th – solo @ secret solar eclipse party, Perryville, MO
August 3, 2017 [permalink] Discography, Duo, Family Vineyard, Feeding Tube, Freezing Black Rain, Ian McColm, Jarrett Gilgore, Live, Luke Stewart, Manas, Manas Trio, Mette Rasmussen, quintet, Tashi Dorji, Thom Nguyen, tour, Trio, Trost, Xerox the Kidd