Live at Mahall’s, Cleveland, OH. Photo by Rob Galo.
Tashi Dorji & I hit the road in late-March/early-April for a string of dates leading to and from our residency at the Mission Creek Festival in Iowa City. We recorded a great deal of material during our days-long session at Flat Black Studios in Lone Tree, Iowa with engineer/proprietor Luke Tweedy at the helm. Special thanks to Luke & Chris Wiersema for their efforts in making the residency come together in such a fantastic and accommodating way. It was truly sublime and rejuvenating to spend the week at Flat Black observing the transition from Winter to Spring across the undulating flatlands, ringing in the new season daily through hours of unencumbered playing. I’m grateful for the opportunity. Many thanks also to everyone who helped our tour dates come together; as always we were humbled to be treated so well, so often, by so many golden human beings.
Dave Rempis and I also got together in late-April for some duo action at the one-and-only Spot Tavern in Lafayette. Indiana. Here’s a clip from one of our two sets captured by Tom Burris:
Poster by Aaron Denton.
Additionally, (Thee) Open Sex has a short tour on the horizon (several of which include our Asheville psychedelic-compatriots, Acid Reign) for the first time in years. Here are the confirmed hits:
– Tuesday, June 13th – Open Sex w/ Lather Sommer Duo, Amy O, Rays (Oakland) @ Magnetic South (1305 S. Madison St.), Bloomington, IN
– Thursday, June 15th – Open Sex @ Terrapin Station (920 S. 12th St.), Murray, KY
– Friday, June 16th – Open Sex @ Far Out Nashville @ The East Room (2412 Gallatin Ave.), Nashville, TN
– Saturday, June 17th – Open Sex, duo w/ Thom Nguyen w/ Acid Reign @ All Go West Festival, West Asheville, NC
– Sunday, June 18th – Open Sex w/ Psychic Baos @ The Pilot Light (106 E. Jackson Ave.), Knoxville, TN
– Monday, June 19th – Open Sex w/ Jason Lescalleet (Berwick, ME), Acid Reign @ The Lazy Diamond (98-A Lexington Ave.), Asheville, NC
– Tuesday, June 20th – Open Sex w/ Acid Reign @ Neptune’s Parlour (14 W. Martin St.), Raleigh, NC
See you out there…
Open Sex also recently released a split cassette with Bloomington’s Lather Sommer Duo in a limited 100-tape run. Tony Conrad is an inspiration to us all and the tape is, loosely speaking, a tribute to Tony. Listen and download/order the cassette HERE. The tape is also available in Bloomington at Landlocked Music and TDs CDs and LPs. As a side note, if you haven’t yet had the chance to view the stunning documentary “Tony Conrad: Completely In The Present,” I highly recommend it. Tyler Hubby did an excellent job in presenting the legacy and spirit of this still-underrated giant.
Collage by Alex Cunningham. Original photo by Frederick Eberstadt.
Next up, Yoke has its first new release of 2017, YO-05. This time around we have an untitled one-off trio of NYC’s Daniel Carter on reeds & trumpet with Muyassar Kurdi on vocals, movements & electronics joined by yours truly on drums & percussion. Recorded with a handheld at a cavernous dance cooperative in Ridgewood, Queens one afternoon last Summer, this is a raw document unlike much else in my catalog. My intention was to have this one out sooner but it looks like I should have copies in hand by June. More to come…
Keeping in line with the tape theme, Tashi & I’s cassette on Astral Spirits, 2016’s “Live At The Spot +1,” was recently reviewed by one of my favorite shops in the country, Deep Thoughts in Jamaica Plain, Boston on their Cassette Gods blog. Check it out HERE. I sincerely appreciate reading that my playing is “beatifically disorienting and hypnotic and evocative of animal rutting and fighting and writhing…” Thanks Cassette Gods! This tape is now out-of-print but I’ll bet you can find one if you look hard enough…
Manas “III” artwork by Bill Nace.
Tashi & I also have another LP on the horizon, this time as MANAS w/ drummer-and-homie-extraordinaire Thom Nguyen. To be fair and accurate, I’m actually the guest on this one as Thom & Tashi have been ripping it up in duo style as MANAS for many years now. The new LP, entitled III, is the follow-up to 2015’s self-titled LP on Florence, Mass’ Feeding Tube Records. Test presses have been approved and this one should see the light of day soon, also via Feeding Tube…
Lastly, Tashi & I will be going on tour again this September in support of the aforementioned releases (and some still unmentioned), concluding with 2017’s Cropped Out Festival, arguably my favorite fest anywhere. Dates and details coming soon…but in the meantime, GET STOKED on that Cropped Out lineup! – T
May 28, 2017 [permalink] Acid Reign, Cassette Gods, Cropped Out, Cropped Out Festival, Daniel Carter, Dave Rempis, Discography, Duo, Feeding Tube, Live, Manas, MIssion Creek Festival, Muyassar Kurdi, Open Sex, Recording, Residency, Review, Tashi Dorji, Thee Open Sex, Thom Nguyen, tour, Trio, Video, Yoke
Frans de Waard recently reviewed Yoke releases 01-03 (my solo debut “Softened Skull,” as well as both collaborations with Darin Gray) at Vital Weekly, an e-mail magazine (formerly print zine) that’s been active as long as I’ve been drawing breath.
Check out the full review at VITAL WEEKLY 1011
Announcing the Tyler Damon / Darin Gray “For Four” fall tour 2015! We will be touring in support of our second full-length release “For Four” on my own Yoke imprint:
I am also very pleased to say that we will be sharing a couple of bills w/ the most-excellent 75 Dollar Bill (Che Chen & Rick Brown) of NYC, Nashville’s William Tyler, Knoxville’s Give Thanks & Will Fist and Louisville’s Keenan Lawler, as well as collaborative sets w/ Cincinnati’s Jon Lorenz and Lexington’s Robert Beatty.
– Sunday, November 15th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray duo w/ 75 Dollar Bill (NYC) @ The Player’s Pub (424 S. Walnut St.), Bloomington, IN – 8PM – “For Four” release show sponsored by WFHB
– Monday, November 16th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray / Jon Lorenz trio w/ 75 Dollar Bill (NYC), Pete Fosco @ The Comet (4579 Hamilton Ave.), Cincinnati, OH – 8PM
– Tuesday, November 17th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray / Robert Beatty trio @ Al’s Beer Garden (601 N. Limestone, behind Al’s Bar), Lexington, KY – 8PM
– Wednesday, November 18th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray duo w/ Give Thanks & Will Fist @ The Pilot Light (106 E. Jackson Ave.), Knoxville, TN – 8PM
– Thursday, November 19th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray duo w/ William Tyler @ Portland Brew 12 South (2605 12th Ave. South), Nashville, TN – 8PM
– Friday, November 20th – Tyler Damon / Darin Gray duo w/ Keenan Lawler @ Dreamland (810 E. Market St.), Louisville, KY – 8PM
– Saturday, November 21st – Open Sex duo w/ Jovontaes (Lexington, KY) & Plastic Crimewave Syndicate (Chicago) @ State Street Pub (243 N. State Ave.), Indianapolis, IN – 8PM
I’ll also be back in Chicago this Sunday (10/25) w/ The Mars Williams Quartet. We’re playing two sets at the Owl in Logan Square starting at 9PM. Free admission, donations gladly accepted…
October 21, 2015 [permalink] 75 Dollar Bill, Bloomington, Cincinnati, Darin Gray, For Four, Indianapolis, Jovontaes, Keenan Lawler, Knoxville, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Open Sex, Plastic Crimewave Syndicate, Robert Beatty, Thee Open Sex, tour, WFHB, Will Fist, William Tyler, Yoke
After a long break in updates I’m pleased to announce that my debut release with bassist Darin Gray, …Oninbo, is now back in print on archival quality CDr. It is available now over at the YOKE page. Darin and I will also have copies on hand on upcoming tour dates. For those interested in a digital version it is available for download at my BANDCAMP page.
As I mentioned above, Darin and I will be doing another brief tour in mid-November in support of our second release entitled For Four. For Four is a complete 38-minute set recorded live on May 3rd, 2014 in Champaign, IL. The initial pressing features two-color screen printed sleeves (printed by In Case Of Emergency Press) and will be released on CDr in an edition of 50 copies on November 20th, 2015.
Additionally, Tashi Dorji and I are in the mixing stages for a full-length release due out in 2016. More on that later…
Lastly, upcoming dates, solo and ensemble:
Thursday, October 8th – solo performance at Wounded Galaxies Festival w/ James Ilgenfritz (NYC), Tony Brewer (Bloomington) @ The Bishop (123 S. Walnut St.), Bloomington, IN
Sunday, October 11th – quintet w/ Mars Williams, Peter Maunu, Brian Sandstrom, Steve Marquette @ The Owl (2521 N. Milwaukee Ave.), Chicago, IL
Sunday, October 25th – quartet w/ Mars Williams, Peter Maunu, Kent Kessler @ The Owl (2521 N. Milwaukee Ave.), Chicago, IL
Wednesday, November 4th – quartet w/ Dave Rempis, Peter Maunu, Albert Wildeman @ The Beat Kitchen (2100 W. Belmont Ave.), Chicago, IL
Official mid-November duo dates w/ Darin Gray coming soon…