Photograph by Dave Rempis.
Presenting the release of the latest Kuzu document on Aerophonic Records, All Your Ghosts In One Corner. I must acknowledge the contribution of my Grandma Boots – wit, wordsmith & master of turns-of-phrase – for providing the title of the record. Thanks Gramma. The official release date is October 5th, but all preorders via Aerophonic ship immediately:
Via Aerophonic Records / Dave Rempis:
“From March 8th-14th, 2020, Kuzu was on a seven-concert tour of the United States in the South and Midwest. During that week it became apparent in this country that the world was on the brink of a crisis unknown to humanity for almost exactly a century. In those seven days, the feeling on the street changed from one of anxiety to one of impending doom. By the time the band arrived at Elastic Arts on Thursday, March 12th, their home base in Chicago, it was clear that these would be the last concerts any of them would perform for quite some time. It would also be one of the last gatherings of the small, dedicated, cohesive, and highly interconnected communities built around the music in all of the cities where they performed. So the final concerts documented on this album from Chicago and Milwaukee were wrapped in a depth of emotion that’s impossible to convey with words; a moment of friends bidding farewell for who-knows-how-long. A few days later, the entire country was in full lockdown. There isn’t a better group to provide that soundtrack.
Kuzu is a band already known for the raw emotion baked into their musical language. All of their previous records – Hiljaisuus (2018), Lift To Drag (2019) Purple Dark Opal (2020), and The Glass Delusion (2021) have ratcheted that approach up further and further as these three stellar musicians have continued to refine their trio dynamic through regular work. But their ability to construct musical tension in an almost agonizing way reaches a new peak on All Your Ghosts In One Corner. Drawing on these musicians’ love for a range of weighty musical expression from doom metal to the deeply-rooted spirituality of saxophonist Pharoah Sanders, this record perfectly captures the depth of the abyss into which we faced. And yet this record isn’t about fear. Redemption is found in the life-affirming energy of these performances, which reflect a will to survive in the band’s committed focus and tenacity. These are spontaneous rituals performed to brace an entire community for the upcoming storm.”
At long last we are hoping to return to the EU for a three-week jaunt after having the entire tour pushed back a year due to the pandemic. If all goes off without a hitch you can plan to find us zigging and zagging across Europe in November:
– Friday, November 5th – Kuzu @ Centro D’Arte (Via Luigi Luzzatti, 16b), Padova, IT
– Saturday, November 6th – Kuzu @ Sound In Motion, Antwerp, BE
– Sunday, November 7th – Kuzu @ Kaap (Zeedijk, Koning Boudewijnpromenade 10), Ostende, BE
– Monday, November 8th – Kuzu @ Punctum (Krásova 803/27), Prague, CZ
– Tuesday, November 9th – Kuzu @ Martinschlossl (Martinstrasse 18), Vienna, AU
– Thursday, November 11th– Kuzu @ Stockwerk (Jakominiplatz 18), Graz, AZ
– Friday, November 12th – Kuzu @ Villach Kulturforum, Villach, AZ
– Saturday, November 13th – Kuzu @ Alte Gerberei (Lederergasse 5), St. Johann, AU
– Monday, November 15th – Kuzu @ Dialograum Kreuzung an Sankt Helena (Bornheimer Str. 130), Bonn, DE
– Tuesday, November 16th – Kuzu @ Live Im Speicher, Leer, DE
– Wednesday, November 17th – Kuzu @ OCCII (Amstelveenseweg 134), Amsterdam, NL
– Thursday, November 18th – Kuzu @ POM (Ruysdaelbaan 106), Eindhoven, NL
– Friday, November 19th – Kuzu @ Club Manufaktur (Hammerschlag 8), Schorndorf, DE
– Saturday, November 20th – Kuzu @ Club W71 (Zwischen den Sportplätzen), Weikersheim, DE
– Sunday, November 21st – Kuzu @ Offene Ohren, Munich, DE
– Monday, November 22nd – Kuzu @ KM28 (Karl Marx Strasse 28), Berlin, DE
Lastly, the new Circuit Des Yeux album -io is now available from Matador Records. Recorded mid-pandemic in November 2020, the LP marks a new direction in the CDY catalog. Check it out HERE.